Saturday 3 August 2013

Carol Jerrems - Photographic Artist

Carol Jerrems (1949–1980) was an Australian photographer who produced the image Vale Street. She documented the counter-culture spirit of Melbourne in the 1970s. Jerrems was born on 14 March 1949 at Ivanhoe, Melbourne and died in Melbourne.  (Source Wikipedia)

After visiting the Carol Jerrems Photographic Exhibition, this photo really stuck in my mind. Titled 'Judy Morris'. I love the positioning of the subject between the shadows revealing an unsure facial expression. And the high contrast black and white. 

Like this photo, much of Jerrems work has a low key, photo journalistic style. Her subject matter shows the everyday person going about their everyday business. -A style which has been copied by photographers to this day. She focuses on women's liberation, youth on the streets and the indigenous population. It's a focus that we don't often see or pay attention too. Her photos are not glamoured, she captures the world in it's raw state. 

Some of my favorites from the exhibition:
Like it says - straight to the point. 

I love the innocence captured in this girls face, when I first looked at the photo I didn't realize she was naked as my focus was on her innocent expression.

I love the classiness of this image. In contrast to today where it's not a classy act for a woman to smoke.



No comments:

Post a Comment